Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Rest In Piece

I grieve everytime I see a brother lying lifeless on the ground
For it is me lying there
I don't want to admit it, but secretly,
A part of me is relieved they no longer suffer
Under the torment of a persecuter's wrath
I close their righetous eyes
They chose to view everyeone with love out of them
And though I make no claim to religion,
I say a quick prayer for the person
Their uniquely talented brains lie scattered on the pavement
A brain that shone forth a brillant message
Prayer is just habit
Left over from a misguided childhood
A childhood of hallejuahs and baptisms
One of things that just stick with you I muse
As I sit cradling their cold body in my arms
At the end, I focus on the message they left behind
It was so important they were willing to die for it
People fear change
But I will not
Rest in peace, my friend

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mouse. I really like this... feels like it speaks to what we last spoke of. I'm thrilled that your work made it into the courthouse and I hope you are well. I'll be around again next month. Hang in.