Thursday, July 8, 2010

Heart beating with love

The government may give me nowhere to sleep except on the streets
scrounging in garbage cans for food
With only a doorway to lie down in and nothing to warm me
But you will never stop my struggle to develop compassion
or my fight to free all of us
Throw me in the gloom of a prison cell
Take what little I have
Remove all my blood ties
Burn all my poetry about my struggle for freedom
You may Beat me but you will never stop my heart from beating with love
Isolate me from my friends
Mouth dripping lies about ME
Throw me in the chasm of gloom and despair
But you will only hear the revolutions echo
Strip me of ever shred of dignity remove my clothing
But you will never break my spirit
I may fall to my knees for a time weary of struggle
But I will inevitably rise again
You may ask why we doggedly persist
Even when they flog us in the streets like dogs
Why?
Because we'd rather die young for a noble cause knowing we are chained
Than live an eternity as a slave who has never heard the word freedom
An when the day comes when, as one people, we journey into the glorious enlightenment of the sun
And we look back on all the hard fought battles won to reach this place
and remember fondly all the revolutionaries who unselfishly sacrificed their life for an idea bigger then them, then all of us
They our are family through ties deeper, stronger than blood
We will dig in our heels and not give the oppressor an inch of ground
Deep in our heart we do believe that we shall overcome someday

No comments: